Monday, December 21, 2009

Jewish Internet Defense Force Speaks Out Against Anti-Semitism Online

by Lisa Graas, editor --

Isn't it amazing how you can go through life thinking that most people recognize and condemn the same great evils of history you do? And isn't it horrifying when you find that, more often than you would like to believe, there are still people walking around out there who are ignorant of these evils? So has been my experience in regard to the Holocaust.

Thankfully, there was no shortage of eyewitness testimony to the horrors Europe unleashed, primarily upon her Jewish citizens, during World War II. I recall my mother telling me when I was a teenager that one of her schoolteachers had been a part of the liberation of one of the death camps and that he had shown his class actual photos he had taken showing the brutality found there. I've read memoir after memoir of Holocaust survivors -- my favorite is Alicia, by Alicia Appleman-Jurman -- and visited the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in DC........twice. I've studied the "reasons" for it (e.g., Daniel Jonah Goldhagen's Hitler's Willing Executioners and Martin Gilbert's The Holocaust: A History of the Jews of Europe During the Second World War) and pored over the Nazi propaganda in bitter astonishment. Thank goodness I was blessed with a desire to seek truth and justice, but I have learned since I started becoming active online that my belief that only a handful of people remain who deny the Holocaust was misplaced.


Holocaust denial is everywhere and when it comes to fighting misinformation online, the Jewish Internet Defense Force is on the job. I want to welcome @JIDF, the latest member of the Palin Twibe on Twitter. You are encouraged to follow their account and RT as often as possible to help to combat anti-Semitism online, but particularly to stand strong against Holocaust deniers. Watch for @JIDF tweets in the Palin Twibe twitter stream, too, as the Jewish Internet Defense Force feed has been added to our TwitterFeed.


Together, we can make a difference.






Follow the Palin Twibe.


Join the Palin Twibe.



Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 comments: on "Jewish Internet Defense Force Speaks Out Against Anti-Semitism Online"

Post a Comment