(from: The Phrase Finder)
Be prepared and save your resources until they are needed.
The allusion is to gunpowder which soldiers had to keep dry in order to be ready to fight when required. This advice reputedly originated with Oliver Cromwell during his campaign in Ireland. In Ballads of Ireland, 1856, Edward Hayes wrote:
"There is a well-authenticated anecdote of Cromwell. On a certain occasion, when his troops were about crossing a river to attack the enemy, he concluded an address, couched in the usual fanatic terms in use among them, with these words - 'put your trust in God; but mind to keep your powder dry'."
There is a lot of talk right now (mainly in the LSM) of: Iowa, jumping in, announcements, polls (straw or otherwise), time-lines, blah blah blah...
The truth is that the majority of the electorate is not engaged in the presidential election of 2012. The real race begins well after Labor Day.
It's going to be a long battle folks. We're going to need all hands on deck, and your full attention. This is no time to be impatient.
The LSM is counting on you to be easily sidetracked, discouraged, distracted, and demoralized.
The right candidate will emerge at the right time. It may take a little bit longer for everyone to get on the bandwagon and understand that she's been here all along.
Here's the silver lining.
Let's take advantage of this down-time. Get all your ducks in a row.
Now would be a great time to:
- Upgrade to that Smartphone you've had your eye on. (This will help keep you in touch with boots on the ground activities, fellow volunteers, and your California State Coordinator)
- Find out when & where your local GOP meetings are held and start attending them. Don't allow the GOP establishment to shove a mushy, wishy-washy candidate down your throat. They are counting on your passivity to do this to you again. Remember our moto: It's Palin or Bust. Don't settle, compromise, or go along to get along with any other scenario. (Do you need to start looking for a baby-sitter for those nights?)
- Use this handy Tea Party Finder to find and join all the local Tea Party Groups in your community.
- Learn how to use Twitter & Facebook. (If I hear, "I don't do Twitter" one more time I may have to write up a special post on how conservative's reluctance to Social Media could cost us another election)
- Double check and make sure you are registered with Organize4Palin (O4P)
(This is perhaps the single most important thing you will ever do)
- Introduce yourself to me (Thomas S Schmitz); your O4P California State Coordinator: email@example.com (Let me know what your special skills are that you can donate to the restoration of America)
- Join the O4P-CA Facebook Group to receive updates.
- Click LIKE on the O4P-CA Facebook Page to receive updates.
- Follow the O4P-CA Twitter Page to receive updates.
- Check in with Conservatives4Palin (C4P) several times a day for up to the minute, factual coverage of Sarah Palin.
- Familiarize yourself with PalinTV. This is a comprehensive collection of Sarah Palin speeches and interviews.
- Order a couple O4P T-Shirts and start wearing them. O4P-CA San Francisco has created an amazing website: essexandorange1773 that houses the official O4P Shop. This is also where the famous FREE DOWNLOAD'S are available. The already iconic GAME ON image is available not only as a T-Shirt but also as a free download to send to your favorite Mom & Pop print shop for posters, cards, stickers, etc (Susan will help you with re-sizing and resolution if you have any trouble, just ask)
- Check out the O4P-CA Flickr Page (no that's not a typo it's really spelled like that). Ron Smith (one of O4P-CA's volunteers) has a saying that I couldn't agree with more. Ron says, "If it's not on the internet it didn't happen". When you are passing out O4P Resources (see below) and wearing your O4P T-Shirts (see above) take a picture of your volunteerism and send it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Get your O4P Resources and start passing them out. Now. Keep them with you at all times. If you make it a habit of wearing an O4P, GAME ON, FIGHT LIKE A GIRL, or Sarah Palin 2012 T-Shirt or button this opens the door to dialogue and you can talk with people and give them a red O4P palm card for more information. ONE VOTE AT A TIME! (FYI: People love the groovy QR Code on the back of the card, be sure to tell people about the QR code - it will scan directly into their Smartphone.
O4P Resources are available from GOP Victory Print. Just click the O4P Logo on the front page and you will be directed to the GOP Victory Print O4P Shop. We have a special deal with them. The O4P resources are very cheap, but they are not free. We understand that money is tight right now for most Americans. If cost is a challenge please let us know, we'll talk and sort it out: email@example.com
- Familiarize yourself with Sarah Palin's position on the issues. A good place to start is the open letter to Congressional Freshman she posted on her Facebook page.
The main O4P Website also has an Issues section.
Be ready to talk to people about Sarah Palin's world view and her position on the issues. Poll by Poll, issue by issue, Sarah Palin's position is exactly the same as most Americans.
I look forward to working with each and every one of you as we stand together in solidarity. Our fellowship of patriotic David's must stand strong as we prepare for the coming battle with Goliath.
This journey, this path, that we are about to embark on will be long, difficult, and at times over-whelming.
We are loyal Americans who want our government to spend less money.
Please join our cause.
Please get 5 people to join O4P this week.
From Madison to Egypt's Tahrir square; the simple truth is right before our very eyes: Whoever has the strongest ground team wins.
America is worth fighting for.
2012 can't come soon enough.
To join Organize4Palin (O4P) TEXT: 4PALIN to 74679 & Register HERE
Thomas S Schmitz
Organize4Palin (O4P) California State Coordinator
Follow me on Twitter: @ThomasSSchmitz